In the last blog in this series last blog we talked about my top 7 food groups to choose vs those to avoid. Today I want to give you the top 7 supplements to consider and lifestyle changes to make.
Top 7 Supplements to Consider:
- Mostly everyone who is not getting an average of 20-30min of skin exposed sunlight daily should take a daily vitamin D3 supplement of 1-5,000 units daily.
- Consider an omega-3 supplement with at least 1,000 mg total of EPA and DHA (consult with your doctor first if you are on blood thinners or have heart failure). If you do not want take fish based omega-3 supplements, they have algae sources as well.
- Turmeric/Curcumin. Has to have bioperine with it to absorb it. This is great for reducing inflammation and has anti cancer activity as well. Take 500-750mg daily. Take 2-3 times per day if you have pain.
- Take probiotics if no medical contraindications. Take those with Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium and at least 1 billion organisms daily.
- Take digestive enzymes if you have stomach or digestive issues. Take one that has amylase, bromelain, and lipase 3 times a day with meals.
- Take CoQ10 (ubiquinol form) if you are on prescription medicines especially statins.
- Take 1,500 mg of glucosamine with chondroitin 1000mg if you have joint pain. You can also check an interesting article on the best supplements for men.
Top 7 Lifestyle Changes You Can Make to Be Healthy
- Eliminate drugs and alcohol: Don’t smoke cigarettes or vape! No illicit drugs. No more than moderate alcohol. Less is better and none is ideal.
- Stay physically active: Spend 20–30 minutes a day doing anything that increases the heart rate or causes a little sweat. If you are able, do short (5-15 min) bouts of high intensity exercise 2-3 times per week. Do some type of resistance training 2x’s per week. Walk more, take the stairs more, do pool therapy especially if you have joint pain.
- Improve mental health: Think positive, make positive connections with others, reduce stress, and stay mentally active with reading, working, playing challenging games or puzzles. Seek professional help if feeling depressed or overly anxious.
- Practice stress relieving activities such as mindful breathing and meditation for 5-10 minutes 1-2 x’s daily.
- Reduce calories. Practice intermittent fasting daily where you have a 12-16 hr period where you do not eat or drink any calories, then 8-12 hours window where you do eat. Practice either a day fast, a fasting mimicking diet, or a few days of calorie restriction 4-12 times per year.
- Floss 1-2 times daily and of course brush your teeth for 2 minutes at a time 2 x’s daily. Floss before brushing.
- Sit less. If you have a desk job get a sit to stand desk. Take breaks from sitting while working, watching TV or reading to stand up, walk, or stretch.
The Bottom Line
With these top 7 supplements and top 7 Lifestyle changes, along with the last 2 blogs, you have all the cliff notes needed to get started, or restart, on a healthy diet and lifestyle train. Most people may not be able to follow these guidelines perfectly, but every improvement counts, so just do the best you can. For more detailed information check out Nutrition 2.0.