Dr. Mairin Jerome is a physiatrist with subspecialty fellowship training in Interventional Orthopedics and Regenerative medicine. She received her Medical Doctorate from the University of Vermont College of Medicine, where she also completed an additional year-long fellowship in anatomic pathology and researched the effects of stretching on connective tissue cell structure. She completed residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R/physiatry) at Emory University, where she gained extensive experience in general physiatry and image-guided procedural interventions. At Emory, Dr. Jerome received an award for her research, was awarded ‘Resident of the Year’ for three consecutive years, and served as Chief Resident.
Dr. Jerome joined the practice after completing her fellowship training in Interventional Orthopedics and Regenerative Medicine at the Centeno Schultz–Clinic, specializing in precise-image guided prolotherapy, concentrated platelet, and stem cell injections to help heal musculoskeletal conditions.
- Osteoarthritis of the knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, foot, ankle, and spine.
- Tendinopathies (tennis elbow, golfers elbow, hamstring, achilles, rotator cuff, etc).
- Ligament injuries (ACL, UCL, ATFL, etc).
- Sports hernia/athletic pubalgia.
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Cartilage injury (knee menisci, labrum of the shoulder or hip, chondral defects).
- Ligament hypermobility, such as that cause by ehlers danlos syndrome.
- Spinal stenosis.
- Cervical, thoracic, and lumbar radiculopathy.
- Herniated discs.
- Cervicogenic headaches.
In addition to the general orthopedic conditions listed above, Dr. Jerome also has a special interest in the application of regenerative medicine for the successful treatment of musculoskeletal pelvic floor dysfunction, such as those related to pregnancy, certain types of urinary frequency/urgency, pudendal neuralgia, and pelvic floor issues specific to both female and male athletes.
“What I love most about being an Interventional Orthopedist is partnering with patients to help get them back to the activities they love. I think the patient-physician relationship is crucial for clinical success. I strive to truly listen to my patients, determine an accurate diagnosis, communicate effectively, be accessible, and work within a collaborative framework to get them better.”
Dr. Jerome is thrilled to be part of the team at the Centeno-Schultz clinic. She believes the thorough patient evaluations and understanding of functional anatomy, combined with the innovative treatments being performed at the clinic, truly offer the best in spine and musculoskeletal care currently available.
2019-2020, Centeno-Schultz Fellowship in Interventional Orthopedics
2016-2019, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, Residency, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
2015-2016, Kaweah Delta Health Care District, Visalia, CA, Internship, Transitional Year
2015 – MD, University of Vermont (UVM) College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
2013-2014, UVM Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Student Fellowship, Burlington, VT
2009- Post-baccalaureate pre-medical certificate, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
2005 – B.A. with honors in visual arts, May 2005, Brown University, Providence, RI
- Colorado State medical license
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Myofascial Release Level I
- Sussman WI, Jerome MA, Foster L. Platelet-rich plasma for the treatment of coccydynia: a case report and review of regenerative medicine for coccydynia. Regen Med 2019 14:12, 1151-1154.
- Ettefagh L,* Jerome MA,* Porter J, Monfared HH, Burke DT. Screening for occult lower-extremity deep vein thrombosis on admission to acute inpatient rehabilitation: A cross sectional, prospective study. J Int Soc Phys Rehabil Med 2019; [In press]
- Abramoff B, Krull C, Jerome M, Principe J, Cai Q, Tailor Y. Intervention for Increasing Vitamin D Supplementation in a Deficient Rehabilitation Population: Outcomes of a Quality Improvement Initiative. PM R. 2019 Jan 27. doi: 10.1002/pmrj.12092. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jerome MA, Gillenwater J, Laub DR, Osler T, Allan AY, Restrepo C, Campbell A. Primary Cleft Lip and Palate Repair in Assam, India: Does pre-operative anthropometric analysis help identify patients with increased surgical risk? Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017 Nov;54(6): 720-25.
- Persing S, Jerome MA, James T, Weaver D, et al. Surgical Margin Reporting in Breast Conserving Surgery: Does compliance with guidelines change outcomes for patients? The Breast. 2015 Oct;24(5):618-22.
- Jerome MA, Laub D. Dissecting Cellulitis of the Scalp: case discussion, unique considerations, and treatment options. EPlasty. 2014; June 6;14:ic17.
- Jerome MA, Williams CJ, Fausel C, Dodson E, Stemper I, Centeno CJ. Review of Regenerative Orthobiologic Treatments in the Spine with Presentation of a Case Series Utilizing Platelet-Based Treatments for Cervical Spine Pain. 5th Annual Interventional Orthopedics Conf, Feb 12-14th, Broomfield, CO (presenter).
- Burke DT, Porter J, Ettefagh L, Jerome MA, Dennison AC. Prevalence of occult lower extremity deep vein thrombosis and identification of clinically relevant factors in patents admitted to an inpatient acquired brain injury rehabilitation program. 13th International Society of Physical + Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, June 9-13, Kobe, Japan. (poster presenter).
- Jerome MA, Sussman W, Foster L. Platelet Rich Plasma for the Treatment of Coccydynia: A Case Report. TOBI 10th Annual Symposium, June 6-8, 2019, Chicago, IL. (poster presenter)
- Jerome MA, Mogbo C, Kneer L. Transient Osteoporosis of Pregnancy: A Case Report of an Unusual but Serious Etiology of Severe Hip Pain. AAP Annual Meeting, February 19-23, 2019, San Jose, PR. (poster presenter)
- Bradberry D, Jerome MA, Cui D. Identification of Life-Altering Adverse Events in Publication Related to Fluoroscopically-Guided Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections from 2002 to Current: A Literature Review. 12th International Society of Physical + Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France.(poster presenter).
- Jerome MA, Ettefagh L, Porter J, Monfared H. Is screening for occult lower extremity deep vein thrombosis (DVT) upon admission to acute inpatient rehabilitation hospitals clinically warranted? 12th International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France. (poster presenter)
- Burke D, Ibekwe E, Jerome MA, Tran M. Using Twitter to Identify Healthcare Consumer Sentiment. 12th International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France. (poster presenter)
- Jerome MA, Bouffard N, Maple R, Badger G, Langevin H. Stretching of connective tissue: Do porcine fibroblasts increase in cross sectional area in response to shear stretch? Association of Academic Physiatrists 2018 Annual Meeting, July 16-20, 2016, Sacramento, CA. (poster presenter)
- Persing S, Sprague B, James TA, Callas P, Mace J, Jerome MA, Sowden M, Goodwin A, Weaver DL. Surgical Margin Reporting in Breast Conserving Surgery: Does Compliance with Guidelines Affect Re-excision and Mastectomy Rates? American Society of Breast Surgeons, 15th Annual Meeting, April 30-May 4, 2014, Las Vegas, NV. (poster presenter)
- Campbell A, Restrepo C, Gillenwater J, Jerome MA, Laub DR, Allan A. Primary Cleft Lip Repair: Nutritional Assessment and Surgical Risk in Assam, India. Poster presentation at the 12th International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Abnormalities, Orlando, FL, May 6-10, 2013. (poster presenter)
- Atiyeh A, Blasberg E, Cushanick K, Edberg D, Jerome MA, Ng P, Meehan R, Delaney T, Carney J. “3 Squares Vermont” Food Assistance Usage by Patrons at the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf. American Public Health Association Annual 140th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 2012.
- Colt E, Akram M, Thornton J, Beiling D, Jerome MA, Kausel A, Paladugu S, Tajrishi R, Servetnyk Z, Pi-Sunyer X. Comparison of High Resolution Peripheral Quantitative Computerized Tomography (HR-pQCT) with Dual Energy Photon Absorptiometry (DXA) for Measuring Bone Mineral Density (BMD) in Subjects of Differing Fatness. 93rd Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society, Boston, MA, June 4-7, 2011.