Dr. Jerome is a physiatrist and current fellow in Interventional Orthopedics at the Centeno-Schultz clinic. Originally from New York City, she received her undergraduate degree in studio art from Brown University with a thematic focus on spinal anatomy, microscopic tissue, and the human experience of trauma. After college, she joined Teach for America and taught elementary school in New Mexico for two years. She received her medical degree at the University of Vermont College of Medicine, where she completed an additional year-long student fellowship in anatomic pathology and researched the effects of stretching on connective tissue cellular morphology.
Given her interest in quality of life, function, musculoskeletal anatomy, nutrition, procedural skill, and developing a strong relationship with patients, the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R/physiatry) was an obvious choice for Dr. Jerome. She completed her residency in PM&R at Emory University in Atlanta, where she trained at the Shepherd Center, the Emory Spine Center, and the Emory Sports Medicine Center, gaining extensive experience in both general physiatry and image-guided procedural interventions. During residency, she engaged in research regarding vitamin D deficiency, blood clots in hospitalized patients, and the use of regenerative medicine for the treatment of osteoarthritis. She also co-authored a book chapter on the history of regenerative medicine with Dr. Christopher Centeno and Dr. Christopher Williams. In addition to winning an award for her research, Dr. Jerome was the recipient of the Dr. Peszczynski award for outstanding Emory resident in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation three years in a row and served as chief resident in her final year.
Dr. Jerome is thrilled to be part of the team at the Centeno-Schultz clinic. She believes the thorough patient evaluations and understanding of functional anatomy, combined with the innovative treatments being performed at the clinic, truly offer the best in spine and musculoskeletal care currently available. Outside of work, Dr. Jerome loves to be active in the outdoors and especially enjoys skiing, hiking, and exploring remote places. She loves dogs, enjoys cooking, seeing art, and is a student of yoga.
Centeno-Schultz Fellowship in Interventional Orthopedics – current fellow
2016-2019, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, Residency, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
2015-2016, Kaweah Delta Health Care District, Visalia, CA, Internship, Transitional Year
2015 – MD, University of Vermont (UVM) College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
2013-2014, UVM Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Student Fellowship, Burlington, VT
2009- Post-baccalaureate pre-medical certificate, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
2005 – B.A. with honors in visual arts, May 2005, Brown University, Providence, RI
Colorado State medical license
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Myofascial Release Level I
- Abramoff B, Krull C, Jerome M, Principe J, Cai Q, Tailor Y. Intervention for Increasing Vitamin D Supplementation in a Deficient Rehabilitation Population: Outcomes of a Quality Improvement Initiative. PM R. 2019 Jan 27. doi: 10.1002/pmrj.12092. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jerome MA, Gillenwater J, Laub DR, Osler T, Allan AY, Restrepo C, Campbell A. Primary Cleft Lip and Palate Repair in Assam, India: Does pre-operative anthropometric analysis help identify patients with increased surgical risk? Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017 Nov;54(6): 720-25.
- Persing S, Jerome MA, James T, Weaver D, et al. Surgical Margin Reporting in Breast Conserving Surgery: Does compliance with guidelines change outcomes for patients? The Breast. 2015 Oct;24(5):618-22.
- Jerome MA, Laub D. Dissecting Cellulitis of the Scalp: case discussion, unique considerations, and treatment options. EPlasty. 2014; June 6;14:ic17.
- Burke DT, Porter J, Ettefagh L, Jerome MA, Dennison AC. Prevalence of occult lower extremity deep vein thrombosis and identification of clinically relevant factors in patents admitted to an inpatient acquired brain injury rehabilitation program. 13th International Society of Physical + Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, June 9-13, Kobe, Japan. (poster presenter).
- Jerome MA, Sussman W, Foster L. Platelet Rich Plasma for the Treatment of Coccydynia: A Case Report. TOBI 10th Annual Symposium, June 6-8, 2019, Chicago, IL. (poster presenter)
- Jerome MA, Mogbo C, Kneer L. Transient Osteoporosis of Pregnancy: A Case Report of an Unusual but Serious Etiology of Severe Hip Pain. AAP Annual Meeting, February 19-23, 2019, San Jose, PR. (poster presenter)
- Bradberry D, Jerome MA, Cui D. Identification of Life-Altering Adverse Events in Publication Related to Fluoroscopically-Guided Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections from 2002 to Current: A Literature Review. 12th International Society of Physical + Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France.(poster presenter).
- Jerome MA, Ettefagh L, Porter J, Monfared H. Is screening for occult lower extremity deep vein thrombosis (DVT) upon admission to acute inpatient rehabilitation hospitals clinically warranted? 12th International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France. (poster presenter)
- Burke D, Ibekwe E, Jerome MA, Tran M. Using Twitter to Identify Healthcare Consumer Sentiment. 12th International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France. (poster presenter)
- Jerome MA, Bouffard N, Maple R, Badger G, Langevin H. Stretching of connective tissue: Do porcine fibroblasts increase in cross sectional area in response to shear stretch? Association of Academic Physiatrists 2018 Annual Meeting, July 16-20, 2016, Sacramento, CA. (poster presenter)
- Persing S, Sprague B, James TA, Callas P, Mace J, Jerome MA, Sowden M, Goodwin A, Weaver DL. Surgical Margin Reporting in Breast Conserving Surgery: Does Compliance with Guidelines Affect Re-excision and Mastectomy Rates? American Society of Breast Surgeons, 15th Annual Meeting, April 30-May 4, 2014, Las Vegas, NV. (poster presenter)
- Campbell A, Restrepo C, Gillenwater J, Jerome MA, Laub DR, Allan A. Primary Cleft Lip Repair: Nutritional Assessment and Surgical Risk in Assam, India. Poster presentation at the 12th International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Abnormalities, Orlando, FL, May 6-10, 2013. (poster presenter)
- Atiyeh A, Blasberg E, Cushanick K, Edberg D, Jerome MA, Ng P, Meehan R, Delaney T, Carney J. “3 Squares Vermont” Food Assistance Usage by Patrons at the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf. American Public Health Association Annual 140th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 2012.
- Colt E, Akram M, Thornton J, Beiling D, Jerome MA, Kausel A, Paladugu S, Tajrishi R, Servetnyk Z, Pi-Sunyer X. Comparison of High Resolution Peripheral Quantitative Computerized Tomography (HR-pQCT) with Dual Energy Photon Absorptiometry (DXA) for Measuring Bone Mineral Density (BMD) in Subjects of Differing Fatness. 93rd Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society, Boston, MA, June 4-7, 2011.
Google scholar link: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=dxZtwZIAAAAJ&hl=en